Friday, November 22, 2013

So where am I going?

I have not had any luck with images from BMW - whilst I was very kindly sent some abstract images of component parts they are not quite what I am looking for i.e. a full frontal version of an engine. So my plan is to continue making drawings with different fabrics and threads and make more 3d moulds of component parts such as can be seen below







free machine embroidery,  Car Pump, 1


I am really excited by these! Whilst I do need to find a better way to photograph the work, the idea is still presented - fantastic car components that represent a male job - car mechanics / maintenance: they have been covered with a delicate fabric that represents the iconic female skill of embroidery. The components parts are made of steel, the fabric from thread therefor  passionately suggesting the link between men and women, but also the differences - but are they? At first thought, the competent parts are strong and bold, perfectly formed whilst the feminine thread soft and fragile, the fabric is just made of individual stitches that easily break. But when carefully formed, the structure is strong and beautiful. They are not perfect in form but  this allows a very enjoyable, organic state.

No comments:

Post a Comment